Going boating? Read these safety tips provided to you by the St Maarten Sea Rescue Foundation.
- Inform someone on shore about your departure time and estimated time to return and inform them when you are back in your harbor
- Perform a radio check on your base VHF radio and check antenna connections for corrosion
- Always bring a spare hand held VHF with you
- Check batteries on your GPS and bring spare ones
- Perform a safety check on your vessel, check for gas fumes for instance
- Make sure you have enough fuel with your for the trip
- Check fire extinguishers
- Bring a certified life vest with reflection and whistle for everyone on board
- Every boat has been approved for a specific amount of passengers, stick to that
- Have all your safety equipment up to date (flares, flashlights etc)
- Show all passengers where to find life jackets and safety equipment
- Use common sense! Don’t leave port when you don’t trust the boat or the weather.
Even the most experienced boater can run into the worst of trouble – make sure that you are prepared. A boat accident can happen at any time – safety is your priority!