Anything can go wrong when you are out as sea – from a crew member falling ill to your vessel sinking or caught on fire. The volunteers of the St Maarten Sea Rescue Foundation are here to help those in need as we have been doing for the last 30 years. Our mission in simply “help those in need in the St Maarten waters”.
To be able to do this our foundation uses three rescue vessels all staffed by volunteers that are trained for the job!
Not all missions are done alone – there are many other organizations involved and we have established a solid working bond with them. These range from the Coast Guard St Maarten to the French Side SNSM.
Our volunteers have been involved in many rescue missions and none is the same. Some examples:
- Rescued a family of three persons from their sinking sailing vessel
- Assisted a family of 6 when their chartered catamaran ran aground in St Barths
- Searched for a missing captain close to Sombrero island
- Assisted during a boat fire in Great Bay
- Searched for a missing dinghy in Great Bay
- SAR operation after a vessel with 21 persons capsized only to find bodies
- Assist yearly during the Heineken Regatta and be responsible for boat safety
- and much more!